Summer Shape Up With Allison Rosa; Personal Trainer
Summer is officially here, that means shorts and pool parties are among us! I have teamed up with the incredibly talented and creative Claire Arceri of Habitual She to curate a quick and effective workout you can do anywhere, anytime.
Consistency is Key: We all want quick and easy results, especially whenever it comes to our physical appearance and when we don't get that we often get frustrated and give up. Staying patient and consistent will provide greater, lasting results than any quick fix.
Find something you enjoy: Whether it be cycling, joining a yoga studio or simply taking a walk...find what works for you! When exercise no longer becomes a chore, you will be more likely to stick with it. Try finding a friend or sign up for a boot camp to help you stay accountable and motivated.
Don't Stress!: Seems impossible, I know. However, when we stress, Cortisol (stress hormone) increases making our insulin levels also rise. This leads to cravings for sugary and fatty foods. Go for a massage, listen to your favorite music, or take a nap to lower stress levels to curb those food cravings.
Perform each move 30-45 seconds with little to no rest in between. Repeat the circuit 3-4x's through.
1) Jump Squat: A) Sit back on your heels with head and chest up. B) Drive with arms to jump as high as you can, returning to the start position
2) Upright Row: A) Begin with feet hip-width apart, slight bend in knees, and arms fully extended at the bottom. B) Bring resistence band upward with your elbows pointing towards the sky.
3) Curtsey Lunge with band pull apart: A) Start with an underhand grip on the band (the closer your grip the more difficult it will be). B)Step on foot behind the other as if you were doing a curtsey while pulling the band apart. C)Push Off the front bent leg to return to the starting position. Repeat on the other side!
4) Burpee Sprawl: A) Begin standing straight up then lower down as you place your hands on the ground in front of you. B) Step or hop both legs out into a plank position. Remember to keep your body in a straight line and core engaged. C) Hop or step both feet in, and return to a standing position.
5) Russian Twist: A) Create a "V" position with your body as you use your core to rotate side to side. B) To modify, place your heels on the ground for more stability
6) Leg Lifts: A) Begin lying down with feet straight up on the air B) Slowly lower both feet down while keeping abs engaged until feet are 6 inches off the ground. C) To modify, keep knees bent
7) Plank Dips: A) Begin in a plank position with your abs engaged and body in a straight lineB) Drop hips and feet down to one side then return to center and repeat on opposite side.
8) Stretching: Stretching is so good for the muscles after they have been worked out.