Photography & Creative by Claire at Habitual She
Location Seaside, Florida
This July, I wanted to share with you the products that I use during the summer. Some of these products I frequently use, and some products, as I will explain, I use very seldom and I will give you reasons why. In preparation for any sun exposure, water should be consumed hours before to ensure proper hydration. I also try and eat a piece of fruit before I head out as it provides nourishing vitamins for sun absorption. Take note that the products listed below do not have to be worn at all times when you are having a beach day, because, one, part of enjoying yourself at the beach is ridding you of normal routines. The beach and the ocean is a place to be naked of expectations from your day to day life. Its a time to have solitude, rest, play and soak up the good earth's pleasures. Two, the ocean, if you haven't already experienced, is Mother Nature's washing machine. That girl will squeak you clean in all nooks and crannies of the body. So if you are going to be in the water, don't wear too much. Xx.
THE BAG: This is a red studded backpack from Zaful. With its red color, it adds the statement to your summer attire, and the unique design gives you the versatility you need to pack your essentials for a day in the sun. I love this bag, because it isn't your usual beach bag style which is alluring in itself.
HAT AND SUNGLASSES: To finish this summer look, why not add in your favorite summer hat and sunglasses.
BODY & HAIR: These 3 products shown are some that I use on a regular basis and one that I use every so often.
- Innersense Sweet Spirit Leave In Conditioner- This product has quickly become a habit in my hair care routine. I live near the Pacific and make frequent trips to the beach. Upon exiting my ocean plunge, I dig in my bag for this product and spritz all over my hair, as I brush through with my fingers. Saltwater directly from the ocean has so many healing properties that I have discussed in a previous blog post. Get yours here.
- Faux Tan Body Sunless Tanner- This is a product I use to even out my tan for when I get tan lines. Bare Minerals Faux Tan has been a favorite of mine when it comes to sunless tanners. Its consistency is that of a lotion and it is easy to apply and blend in. The color achieved is brown (NOT ORANGE). Its scent smells of sweet almond. Get yours here.
- Australian Gold Botanical Sunscreen- On the topic of sunscreen, I will admit that I am not a heavy sunscreen user. On a regular day, I do not apply sunscreen because sunlight is GOOD for you. The Vitamin D that you receive is essential for health. Here is a great article on Vitamin D. Sunscreens, for the most part, have harsh chemicals that are not good for your skin. The only time I apply sunscreen is when I know I will be out in the sun for an extended amount of time. Although the Australian Gold Botanical spray works well and has fewer toxins than most store-bought SPF, this one is not the healthiest. This one is good for when you are in a pinch. Get yours here.
FACE: When I get ready for the beach, I keep my face products to a minimum. For the days when you need a little coverage and color, or for days where you make plans after the beach, these are some of the products I like to use.
- Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick: I like to swipe the spots on my face that are a little red or splotchy with the Foundation stick by Bobbi Brown. It gives great coverage and is super quick and compact. Get yours here.
- Too Faced Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara: This mascara came recommended to me about a year ago, and I must say it lives up to its reputation..(enter cheeky laugh here). Most waterproof mascara leaves your lashes brittle when applied, this one feels great and isn't hard to remove. It also makes lashes full and not heavy. Get yours here.
- Lucas' Papaw Ointment: Where do I start about this product? As some of you know (or maybe not) I lived in Australia during college. Created in Australia, everyone and their pets use this product. It's one of those 'cure-all' ointments that you can literally put on anything ie. (burns, scrapes, chapped lips, blemishes, cold sores etc.) I have one tube in every bag that I own. It makes your lips so hydrated and heals everything! It's also so silky smooth when applied, making you want to always have it on hand. I now order mine off of Amazon. Get yours here.
- Clinique Lipstick in Tender Heart: What I love most about this lip product is it's medium coverage. This is not going to be your full lip color, it applies more sheer, giving you more of a smooth, comfortable feel. The color is described as a midtone, blushing nude brown. Get yours here.
NNERSENSE SWEET SPIRIT LEAVE IN CONDITIONER DEMO:
- Upon exiting ocean (do not rinse hair with regular water), grab your bottle of Sweet Spirit and spritz all over hair. The minerals from the ocean water do wonders for your hair!
- Comb through with fingers, getting any knots or tangles.
- Take bottle again a spritz, focusing on the ends this time to add more hydration.
- Scrunch Hair with hands to make the softest beach waves.
- [CRUCIAL STEP] Pick up a big banana leaf and give your best Bond Girl pose. (we all have one in there)
If you didn't catch my earlier post on this product, I'll list the beautiful ingredients below.
**Also shown, Claire is wearing the Bare Essentials Faux Tan Sunless Tanner for you to see the product after application.
Key Ingredients: Tamanu Oil — is a significant topical healing agent from the sacred Tamanu tree. With its high levels of lipids, fatty acids and anti-inflammatory agents, it has tremendous anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity. It has a mild, pleasant aroma and a luxurious feel, absorbing readily into the skin, leaving it soft and smooth. Organic Rice and Soy Proteins — provide moisturizing and strengthening characteristics, along with reparative and protective qualities. Rosemary Oil — is known for its healthy influence on the scalp by increasing circulation which is beneficial for stimulating hair growth. Honey — a humectant, which provides moisturizing benefits for hair and skin. Honey also acts as an anti-irritant, making it ideal for sensitive scalps and skin. It also offers light hold when styling the hair. Lavender — is one of the primary essential oils for inducing peace and calm. As an adaptogen, it normalizes both dry and oily conditions of the scalp, hair or skin. Lavender is anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and a skin regenerative, which aids in dandruff and hair loss conditions. Rooibos Tea — With 50 times more antioxidants than green tea, it has been called the “miracle tea” for its tremendous healing powers and anti-aging properties. Oregano — this familiar aromatic herb is refreshingly stimulating to the scalp and provides a pleasing fragrance.
Ingredients: Plant Source 1 Aloe Vera, 2 Shea Butter, 3 Tamanu Seeds, 4 Coconut, 5 Frangipani, 6 Rooibos Red Bush Tea, 7 Lemongrass, 8 Echinacea Flower Essence, 9 Citrus Peel Oils. Water, Aqua- EAU, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Gel*1, Behentrimonium Methosulfate2, Glycerin4, Rice Amino Acids*, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein*, Nelumbiaum Speciosum (Lotus)Flower Oil*, Citrus Sinensis Peel Oil*9, Caprylic Triglyceride, Calophyllum Tacamahaca Seed Oil3, Rosemarium Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract* Agropyron (Wheatgrass) Extract*, Honey Extract*, Cinnamomum Zelyanicum Bark Extract*, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Extract*, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract*, Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden Seal) RootExtract*, Thymus Valgaris (Thyme) Extract**, Nelumbium Specoisum (Lotus) Flower Extract*, Plumeria Alba Flower Extract5, Aspalathus Linearis Extract6**, Cymbopogon Schoenan-thus Extract7*, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Seed Oil*, Echinacea Angustifolio Extract8**, Origanum Vulgare Leaf Extract9**, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate. *Certified Organic